Bag 'n Hand Food Pantry
"For I was hungry and you gave me food"
Bag ‘n Hand Food Pantry is a food distribution center located at St. John’s United Methodist Church.The Pantry was started in 2001 and is operated entirely by volunteers with no paid staff. It is a partner agency of The Food Depot of Santa Fe and an outreach ministry of St. John’s United Methodist Church.
Our mission is to regularly provide fresh produce and packaged food in a friendly and caring environment to hungry people in the Santa Fe community.
Where do we get the food?
As a partner agency we are able to distribute commodities and purchased foods at a discount from The Food Depot. In addition, we receive food donations from the community and we supplement this with food purchased food from local grocery stores and food vendors. Funding to purchase food comes from donations by the St. John's congregation, the Santa Fe faith community and the community at large.
Who do we serve?
Every week needed groceries are distributed to over 200 households. Household members range in age and degree of need. Some are single elderly or disabled on a fixed income, while others are large families living on the edge of poverty. One third of all persons served are children age 17 and younger. For fifty percent of those households receiving food, it is a one or two time "emergency" event.
How is the food distributed?
- Food is distributed at St. John's each Tuesday and Thursday from 10am -12 noon (except holidays) to residents of Santa Fe County.
- A family may come once per week.
- New clients are required to complete a one-page registration form in compliance with governmental regulations.
How can you help support the Bag n' Hand Food Pantry?
- Financial donations: Approximately $2500 of food is purchased each month for distribution. For every $1 donated, $0.97 is used to purchase food. This is in addition to food donations and food we receive from the Food Depot. Your financial donation will help us continue this needed service in our community. Please make your check out to St. John's United Methodist Church, and in the memo line write Food Pantry.
- Food donations: Please bring packaged foods to St. John's. Suggested donations are canned meats, 15 oz. cans of vegetables or fruits, and bags of pasta or rice.
- Volunteer: New volunteers are always welcome. If you are interested and want additional information, please call St. John's at 505-982-5397 or email Carol Hilt at email@example.com. We welcome you!
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.